Páginas

3.21.2017

Silence by Shusaku Endo

Today Jesus told me to focus a little harder on my morning routine tomorrow--that is, get up, go to Adoration, then to the gym, and in the process create a clear list of to-dos for the day.

I'm reading the book Silence by Shusaku Endo.  And sort of expecting it to change my life.  Martin Scorsese, in the introduction, says that he's read the book numerous times since when he picked it up over thirty years ago.

I may as well.  Since it's touching on the very same issues that I struggle with regarding Catholicism: how is it that a religion intended to bring Truth and Redemption to everyone be so comically unwelcoming, myopic and (therefore) ineffective?

Honestly it does boggle the mind.  A friend of mine once said that the problem with most priests is that they haven't got a clue (about life).

And it's so true.  So, so many are small minded careerists, who genuinely believe things like "if you have a good relationship with God then things eventually are going to work out for you" and "one of the signs of a God-fearing person is that they are middle class and in a healthy marriage with good kids".

Although I haven't finished Silence yet, I have seen Scorsese's film rendition of it.  And boy do the lives of the central characters--17th Century Jesuit Missionaries to Japan--ever challenge these freakishly banal assessments of the Christian life.


No comments

Post a Comment

Pink Lady © - DISEÑO POR HERPARK