Páginas

7.30.2015

Jane Eyre 'by' Cary Fukunaga


This was a pretty good version.  Somehow I missed it when it came out in 2011.  Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre was well cast; she plays the plain & introverted character of Jane very well.  Michael Fassbender is perhaps too handsome to play Mr. Rochester.  I actually laughed at the end when Rochester is blind and he's suppossed to look ragged and horrible, and it's just impossible to make someone like Fassbender look horrible, so he looks more ruggedly handsome.  But he is good in the role; a good casting decision but not exaclty a great one.

Really like this story.

The woman in the attic
has always intrigued me ever since I watched a play of Jane Eyre in Seattle where the woman in the attic was symbolic of Jane Eyre's sexual passions.  Whenever Jane would be longing for Mr. Rochester, the woman in the attic above would be tearing at her shackles, trying to break out of her cage.  As a real literalist, I'd unto this point seen the woman in the attic as nothing more than Rochesters' actual mentally-ill wife.  Yet I can see from several passages (recited in the movie, and some from the book) that this symbolic interpretation may be dead on.  

Mr. Rochester refers to Jane as being caged several times;

“I see at intervals the glance of a curious sort of bird through the close set bars of a cage: a vivid, restless, resolute captive is there; were it but free, it would soar cloud-high.”

and

"I could bend you with my finger and my thumb. A mere reed you feel in my hands. But whatever I do with this cage, I cannot get at you, and it is your soul that I want. Why can't you come of your own free will?"


And Jane herself says over and over that her interest in Mr. Rochester is something that she must keep stifled (initially because he's so above her in class, and later when she realizes that he's already married and she'd be committing adultury to be with him).


Bronte seems to challenge the convention of marriage in this book, for example when Rochester suggests to Jane that the two of them might 'be a couple' and that it might not be wrong to overlook the grave error he made of marrying a madwoman in his youth.  

Ah, well, this is definitely a story that holds up, since it has so much symbolism and questions things like social conventions (namely marriage).  Rochester reminds me a lot of Rhett Butler, in that they both have a non-conventional code of ethics, and have 'experienced much' of the world. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Pink Lady © - DISEÑO POR HERPARK