Páginas

10.22.2014

Wordy Wednesday October 22nd

Yesterday I finished reading the Picture of Dorain Grey, and immediately afterwared attended a book group discussion.  Um, the question that still lingers for me about this book is whether or not the changes to the portrait actually took place--and if so, why & how--or were the changes only perceived by Dorian (and Basil Hallward)?  Everyone in the book group thought that they really took place (Otherwise, one woman argued, how would the portrait have killed Dorian?).

I'm less of a literalist and so think that Wilde had his characters see the changes in the portrait to make some sort of a point about beauty and art and aging, but he didn't want to have magic and surrealism come into play in his book.

Dunno.



*

Some (older) movies that I saw this week.......

I watched "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe", all the way through.  Wow, Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton can really act!  

A pretty intense movie.  The writing is great.  Ernest Lehman wrote the screenplay for the movie, and Edward Albee the actual play.  I wonder who gets more of the credit?  Lehman has written so many great screenplays; The King and I, Sound of Music, North by Northwest.  Virginia Wolf is one of his darker movies.

Notice how Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay to Gone Girl?  That's pretty unusual, I think, when an author can write the book and the screenplay, since they are kind of totally different beasts.

I'm trying to watch Million Dollar Baby.....boy it's a struggle.  It feels like a movie that's trying really really hard to be good, but at its core is kind of banal.  All those Academy Awards must have been an 'A for effort' or something.  There's some really great shots; however that girl character, dunno, so predictable--she's got the coach who keeps rejecting her, and she keeps punching at him, and they're sure to make some sort of remarkable team at the end.  The naration with Morgan Freeman feels like forced drama.

*

In Podcasts this week......

Listened to two WTF podcasts this week.  One with Bob Rubin and the other Martin Starr.  Yeah, Marc is making a felt presence back in my life again.  He really pulled me through some tough times/helped me to grow several years ago, then I had to shut him off due to his overt anti-Catholicism and TMI sexual expositions from his guests.  Now he's back in my life and feels a little like an old friend.

In the interview with Bob Rubin I initially thought 'wow, who is this guy, really like him, my kind of bizairre comedy', to thinking, 'oh, he's really gone off the deep end...he's crazy'........yeah, where did he break in there?  A strange twist to this interview.
Martin Starr seems way more mentally stable, and a pretty stable guy overall it seems.  He hasn't become start-struck with all of his acting fame, and I loved the thorough explanation that he gives of Buddhism.  I hadn't understood before how it is that Buddhism doesn't have a god; Starr calls it more of a karmic connection between everything.  I want to start watching Silicon Valley; Marc says it's pretty good.

Have really been enjoying Gilbert Goddfried's podcast.  I just love how much he laughs.  He's just great.  This week he interviewed Robin Thicke's dad, as well as Weird Al just a few days ago.  I like his co-host Frank Santo-Padre too.  If you haven't listened to one of these interviews yet I recommend that you do!

And just tonight I listenend to yet another amazing episode of the Comedy Film Nerds, during the 70 minutes that it took me to make tabouli, hummus, and pita bread (keeping myself fed is hard work!).  Graham and Chris interview Paul Mercutio, and he's got some great stories to tell.  Recommend it.

No comments

Post a Comment

Pink Lady © - DISEÑO POR HERPARK